What is The Difference Between a Lithium Battery and a LiFePO4 Battery?
Lithium battery and LiFePO4 battery are the two most used battery of many battery types. I believe everyone has a certain understanding of lithium battery and LiFePO4 battery in life. But, do you know the difference between LiFePO4 battery and lithium battery? If you want to find these answers, you might as well continue reading.
1. LiFePO4 battery
LiFePO4 battery refers to a lithium ion battery that uses LiFePO4 as the positive electrode material. The cathode materials of lithium-ion battery mainly include lithium cobalt oxide, lithium manganate, lithium nickelate, ternary materials, and LiFePO4. Among them, lithium cobalt oxide is currently the cathode material used in most lithium-ion battery.
1. The LiFePO4 battery has a long life, with a cycle life of more than 2000 times. Under the same conditions, LiFePO4 battery can be used for 7 to 8 years.
2. Safe to use. LiFePO4 battery has undergone strict safety tests and will not explode even in traffic accidents.
3. Fast charging. Using a dedicated charger, the battery can be fully charged with a 1.5C charge in 40 minutes.
4. LiFePO4 battery is resistant to high temperature, and the hot air value of LiFePO4 battery can reach 350 to 500 degrees Celsius.
5. LiFePO4 battery has a large capacity.
6. LiFePO4 battery has no memory effect.
7. LiFePO4 battery is environmentally friendly, non-toxic, non-polluting, has a wide range of raw materials, and is cheap.
1. The tap density of LiFePO4 battery positive electrode is small, the density is generally about 0.8 to 1.3. Big size.
2. Poor conductivity, slow diffusion of lithium ions, and low actual specific capacity when charging and discharging at high times.
3. The low temperature performance of LiFePO4 battery is poor.
4. The life of a single battery of LiFePO4 battery is long, about 2000 times, but the life of LiFePO4 battery group is short, generally about 500 times.
(4) Application areas
Large-scale electric vehicles: buses, electric vehicles, tourist attractions and hybrid vehicles, etc.;
Light electric vehicles: electric bicycles, golf carts, small flat battery carts, forklifts, cleaning vehicles, electric wheelchairs, etc.;
Power tools: electric drills, electric saws, lawn mowers, etc.;
Remote control cars, boats, airplanes and other toys;
Energy storage equipment for solar and wind power generation;
UPS and emergency lights, warning lights and miner's lamps (the best safety);
Replace the 3V disposable lithium battery and 9V nickel-cadmium or nickel-metal hydride rechargeable battery in the camera (the same size);
Small medical equipment and portable equipment, etc.
2. Lithium battery
Lithium battery are a type of battery that use lithium metal or lithium alloy as the negative electrode material and use a non-aqueous electrolyte solution. Due to the very active chemical properties of lithium metal, the processing, storage and use of lithium metal have very high environmental requirements. Therefore, lithium battery have not been used for a long time. With the development of science and technology, lithium battery have now become the mainstream.
1. The energy is relatively high. With high storage energy density, it has reached 460-600Wh/kg, which is about 6-7 times that of lead-acid battery;
2. The service life is long, and the service life can reach more than 6 years. The battery with lithium iron phosphate as the positive electrode is charged and discharged at 1C (100% DOD), and has a record of 10,000 times of use;
3. The rated voltage is high (the single working voltage is 3.7V or 3.2V), which is approximately equal to the series voltage of three nickel-cadmium or nickel-metal hydride rechargeable battery, which is convenient to form a battery power pack; lithium battery can pass a new type of lithium The technology of battery voltage regulator adjusts the voltage to 3.0V to suit the use of small electrical appliances;
4. It has high power endurance, and the lithium iron phosphate lithium ion battery used in electric vehicles can reach 15-30C charge and discharge capacity, which is convenient for high-intensity start-up acceleration;
5. The self-discharge rate is very low. This is one of the most prominent advantages of the battery. Generally, it can be less than 1% per month, which is less than 1/20 of the nickel-hydrogen battery;
6. Light weight, the weight is about 1/6-1/5 of the lead-acid product under the same volume;
7. Strong adaptability to high and low temperature, it can be used in the environment of -20℃-60℃, after the process treatment, it can be used in the environment of -45℃;
8. Green and environmental protection, no matter it is produced, used or scrapped, it does not contain or produce any toxic and harmful heavy metal elements and substances such as lead, mercury, cadmium, etc.
9. Production basically does not consume water, which is very beneficial to China, which is short of water. Specific energy refers to the energy per unit weight or unit volume. Specific energy is expressed in Wh/kg or Wh/L. Wh is the unit of energy, W is watt, h is hour; kg is kilogram (weight unit), L is liter (volume unit).
1. All lithium primary batteryhave poor safety and may explode.
2. The lithium-ion battery of lithium cobalt oxide cannot be discharged at a high current, is expensive, and has poor safety.
3. Lithium-ion batteryneed to protect the circuit to prevent the battery from being overcharged and over-discharged.
4. High production requirements and high cost.
5. The use conditions are limited, and the use of high and low temperature is dangerous.
(4) Application areas
1. Traffic power supply
2. Electric energy storage power supply
3. Power for mobile communication
4. New energy storage power electricity
5. Aerospace military power supply
3、The difference between LiFePO4 battery and lithium battery
LiFePO4 battery is different from lithium battery.
(1) LiFePO4 battery is used to make lithium-ion secondary battery. Now the main direction is power battery, which have great advantages over NI-H and Ni-Cd battery.
(2) Lithium battery is a type of battery that uses lithium metal or lithium alloy as the cathode material and uses non-aqueous electrolyte solution. The chemical properties of lithium metal are very active, which makes the processing, storage and use of lithium metal very demanding on the environment.
(3) LiFePO4 will not fire or explode after puncture. Lithium battery will.
(4) If LiFePO4 is overcharged to 100%, it will not catch fire and explode; the lithium battery will gas out and swell when it reaches the specified value.
4、The difference between LiFePO4 power station and lithium battery power station
In fact, the difference between the two is equivalent to the difference between the LiFePO4 battery and the lithium battery mentioned above. The other is to look at the supplier's materials for making the power station. However, no matter what material is used, LiFePO4 power station is used by more people than lithium battery power station.
Last reminder: LiFePO4 Power Station has multiple functions such as explosion-proof, high temperature warning, and anti-fall, which can better protect you and your family and use electricity safely.
The above is the relevant content of the lithium battery and LiFePO4 battery brought this time. Through this article, I hope everyone has a certain understanding of the difference between lithium battery and LiFePO4 battery. If you like this article, you might as well continue to pay attention to our website. More exciting content will be brought later. Finally, thank you all for reading, have a nice day!